Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wedding Cupcake Cake

First off, what makes a cupcake cake?? That's just simply what I call the cupcakes that are placed in a tier and have a small (usually 6") cake topper. Its easier than saying, "cupcakes on a stand, in a tier shape, with a cake on top" lol.

This was my very first cupcake cake. A couple from Florence, SC contacted me and asked me to make their wedding cake. They wanted cupcakes and they had heard I made cupcakes. I have to add a LOL in here, b/c if you had seen the cupcakes I had made prior to this...well, they were just what I call "playing around with" cupcakes...NOTHING worthy of a WEDDING!!! I have to pause and take a minute to recall the first "decorative" cupcakes I made. They were last Thanksgiving, my cousin helped me make "turkey" cupcakes....they were....well....lets just say they didn't appear to be very "turkey like" but our family doted over them and made us feel proud :) So when this couple contacted me, I was a little hesitant. However, it was an offer I couldn't refuse, the chance to be PAID for doing something I was growing very fond of!! After I explained to them that I was NOT professional and had only dabbled in cupcake decorating but would love to rise to the challenge, they offered me the job. They only had a few desires. They wanted ivory and black and a cross topper. They wanted me to come up with the rest! Here is what I created (sorry some of the pics are small, this was before I realized that part of the enjoyment from this hobby is actually taking pictures, to savor your work after the creation is gone):









There were 68 cupcakes. All chocolate with homemade buttercream frosting, just swirled on top. I found black liners online and they turned out just perfect. The cake is chocolate with handmade buttercream frosting. It is a 6" round cake. The cross was handmade and hand cut out of 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. I hand glued sugar pearls around the edges of the cross with sugar glue (made from gumpaste and water). I used silk daisies (FOR SHAME!!! I KNOW!!) to place around the cross (daises were the flowers they were using for the wedding). All in all I was very proud of my very first cake!! While it wasn't very profitable, it was an amazing learning experience and gave me lots of insight for future cupcake cake making!!
Oh I should also add that the stand was also ordered online, however, after I received it I realized it was made out of Styrofoam!!! Eck!!! No worries, I went to the local fabric store and got some ivory silk and black ribbon. I used pearl point pins to tack the clothe and ribbon around the stand. I'm very proud with the way it turned out, my only complaint...the bride got to keep the stand :( boo. She DID technically pay for it and she lived in FLORENCE, even if she offered it, I don't know that I would want to drive that far to pick it up...I can always make another.

No comments:

Post a Comment