Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dora The Explorer

I have a confession to make, I'm not too fond of making cartoon/character cakes.
They make me nervous. I can be such a perfectionist and trying to make something look just like someone else's creation...just about drives me mad, lol. However, it's a challenge and for some reason I have a hard time turning any challenge down.
For this reason, I agreed to make a Dora the Explorer cake.
I will say, Dora was probably one of the hardest characters I've had to recreate.
Dora and Boots are made out of fondant.
The cake is yellow butter cake, buttercream icing, fondant stripes and pearls. I sprinkled each pink pearl with some disco dust. It was hard to capture the sparkle with my camera, sorry.



Here are Dora and Boots during the sculpting process:




All in all I was pretty pleased with Boots. I was not as happy with Dora as I would have liked, but I did the best I could and I'm pretty proud of the cake as a whole.
I received word that the birthday girl loved the cake and really, that's all that matters to me!!
Side note: I made this cake for a sweet friend that was stationed in Hawaii while my husband and I were there. She and her husband are now stationed in GA. She drove from GA to SC to get the cake and then drove it to NC where her niece was celebrating her birthday. How honored I was that she wanted to go out of her way just to have a cake of mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment